Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/200°C.
Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in a small amount of water. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and palace in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl mix together crackers and cheese. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to the squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. Spread into a 9 x 13 inch / 23 x 33 cm baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 4 cups / 800 gram sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup / 75 gram chopped onion
- 35 buttery round crackers
- 1 cup / 90 gram shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup / 180 ml milk
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter