Tasty, healthy and ready in a jiffy: shakshuka!
Doesn't it look delicious? This combination of poached eggs in a spiced tomato sauce can be varied endlessly. Use green vegetables for a green shakshuka or add merguez and you get the delicious Tunisian dish ojja. This simple one-pan dish tastes great for breakfast, lunch or even dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 800 g tinned diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 20 g rocket
- 1 lemon
- Chop the onion and finely chop the garlic.
- Cut the red pepper into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic.
- Fry the paprika briefly then add the tomato puree.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes then simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Make four small wells in the sauce then carefully break the eggs into them.
- Divide the cherry tomatoes over the sauce.
- Place a lid on the pan and cook for another 15 minutes or so, until the egg white has set.
- Serve with the rocket and a wedge of lemon if desired.